Ok, so a while back I put up a link and image in my sidebar advertising a free ibook. It was some scheme I ran across on somebody else’s blog and I said I would try it out and report back on my findings.
Well … here’s what I found:
The gist of it was this:
1. Sign up for a free iBook
2. Complete one of several online offers – some of these costed money, others were free.
3. Get 18 other people to sign up for their free iBook and successfully complete an offer – same offers mentioned above in step two.
That’s it – sounds easy, right? Well here’s what my experience was:
I signed up for a credit card offer. I was approved and they sent me a new card. Then I went back to the website to see if my status was changed from ‘not having completed an offer’ to ‘having completed an offer.’ It had not changed – the site was still showing that I needed to complete an offer in order to be elligable for my free iBook. I checked the FAQs, which stated it sometimes takes a couple of weeks for your offer to show up as having been completed.
So I waited.
One month later my offer “still had not been completed.” What a joke. So I began reading through the FAQs again and noticed there was a manual option to click if “you had completed an offer, but it wasn’t being reflected on the website.” So I clicked that, was prompted as to which offer I completed, I specified my offer, and nothing happened.
So I waited another month.
In the meantime five other folks had signed up with the program through my link. Mysteriously none of them had completed offers either.
It’s now been about 3 months since I completed my offer. During that time I’ve just become frustrated with it, and it’s 12k extra that my blog visitors have to download with the iBook image. I’ve now removed the image and given up any hopes of my free iBook. Ah well, I guess I’ll be sticking with PCs … the Gods don’t like Macs 🙂