The blog is back online again, as is Jim’s.
Here’s a brief synopsis of the stages I’ve gone through since discovering my site was offline:
2. Double-panic – it wasn’t just my blog that was down – other sites were down, too.
3. Triple-panic – the entire contents of my server had been deleted, and I don’t have an automated backup process in place.
4. Anger – I was on the phone with my hosting company, screaming at the poor souls on the other end. They just couldn’t do much to help me, as some hacker from France had assumed control of my server and was now hosting a website for a fake bank to phish for credit card numbers.
5. Surrender and acceptance – I started putting the pieces back together again. Got to work putting sites back online, and notifying clients of the circumstances with their websites. Nobody was too upset.
6. Workaholic – kept working on the server and sites.
7. Serenity – I’m happy everything is put back together now. Upside to the situation is that my server got whiped clean and everything’s running a little bit smoother now.
– all of the images from my blogposts are gone forever
– all of the comments from prior to the takeover are gone forever
Still on the to do list:
– automate FTP backups from my box in the closet
– get the gallery up and running again
Thanks for the nice emails and comments.